Thursday, January 7, 2016

Ready

I was fired up and ready to roll!

This took place the night before my first day of school in the fourth grade at Thomas Sumter Academy:  My backpack was by my bedroom door and it was loaded up with new school supplies.  My lunchbox was stuffed full of good food and chilling in the refrigerator.  There was only only one more thing to do:  I got dressed in my new blue jeans and shirt.  I put on everything but my shoes.  Then ... I got in bed and went to sleep!  Yep, you read that right.  I slept in my clothes.  I was ready for whenever my alarm clock would ring the next morning!  Like the Batmobile shoots out the Batcave, I was ready to shoot out the front door and race to school.

Childhood enthusiasm can be a funny thing.  But there is something good about being ready for important matters.  Readiness is even biblical!

Paul wrote these words in 2 Timothy 4:2 - "Preach the word; be ready in season and out of season."  He was telling young Timothy to always be ready to share the good news of Jesus with whoever he could, whenever he could.  He was to be prepared and set for any opportunities which opened up before him.

The same is true for us Christians today.  There are hurting, lost people out there who desperately need to hear about the great hope there is with God.  And we should always be ready to share with them what God can do for them.

Be ready to tell the guilty about God's forgiveness.
Be ready to tell the empty about God's fulfillment.
Be ready to tell the lonely about God's friendship.
Ultimately, be ready to tell anyone what God has done for you!

Think about your testimony.  Formulate your story in your mind.  Practice sharing it in two or three minutes.  And memorize a couple of important scripture verses you can share with those who need to hear them.  Theses are practical, simple steps you and I can take to be ready.

Sine my childhood, I've learned to not sleep in the next day's clothes.  That's a little excessive.  But I've also learned to transfer that same energy and enthusiasm into telling others about the awesome God of the universe.

May God help us rediscover the thrill of telling others about Him.  

And may God help us to always be ready, day in and day out!

3 comments: