Thursday, January 28, 2016

24 Without Jack

For years I enjoyed the TV show "24".  It was about a counterterrorist agent named Jack Bauer, played by Kiefer Sutherland.  Simply put, it was thrilling and it kept many of us on the edge of our seats every episode.  It grew very popular and attracted a huge audience in countries all around the world.

Then, it ended.  "24" went off the air.  The show was over.

Now, Fox is bringing it back.  "24" will return.  But this time, there is no Jack Bauer.  He won't be a part of the show.  And for me, that's a letdown.  Disappointing.  He is what made that series so good.

Can I make a comparison here?  I can't imagine "24" without Jack Bauer.  But on a much more important note, I can't imagine life without God.  

He forgives sins.  
He saves souls.  
He calms fears.  
He directs paths.  
He blesses lives.

God is who you and I need.  Desperately.  Eternally.

An old hymn summarizes this in just the right way:

"Without Him I could do nothing
Without Him I'd surely fail
Without Him I'd be drifting
Like a ship without a sail.

Without Him I would be dying
Without Him I'd be enslaved
Without Him life would be worthless
But with Jesus thank God I'm saved."

Jack Bauer is just a fictitious TV character.  Life will go on without him.  But God is the creator, savior, ruler, and sustainer of the world.  And we would not make it a minute without Him.

Through Jesus Christ, we can have an intimate connection with God.  And we can have all we need for life now and forevermore.  Without Him, we would be in a mess.  But with Him, we can consider ourselves blessed.

No comments:

Post a Comment