Monday, January 18, 2016

Monday Morning Rewind - 1/18/16

*  It's MLK Day.  I like how Dr. King said he dreamed of a time when people would "not be judged by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character."  May that dream become a reality.  Why?  Because the outside of a person doesn't matter nearly as much as the inside.

*  I feel good about yesterday (January 17) here at New Calvary Baptist Church.

*  Our Sunday crowds are getting larger in number.  I'm noticing an increase in people under the age of 50.  All ages matter.  We don't value one age group over another.  But understanding that none of us are getting younger, it's always good to see young people coming into the church.

*  Financially, things are looking up.  Giving at New Calvary is strong.  Isn't it a thrill to give back to God a portion of what He has given us?!

*  I continued our series of messages through the book of James.
*  Specifically, we focused on James 1:13-18.  The message was entitled "When We Face Temptations".

*  This was my sermon outline:
Accept Personal Responsibility - vs. 13-14 : Our sin is our fault.
Consider The Cost - vs. 15-16 : Sin has a heavy price tag.
Be Mindful Of God - vs. 17-18  : God offers us better gifts than sin does.

Billy Sunday once said this about sin:  "I'm against sin.  I'll kick it as long as I have a foot, and I'll fight it as long as I have a fist.  I'll butt it as long as I have a head.  I'll bite it as long as I have a tooth.  When I'm old, fistless, footless, and toothless, I'll gum it 'til I go home to glory and it goes home to perdition."

*  As I sit here this morning, this goes through my mind about yesterday's sermon:  May God, out of His grace, help us love Him and His righteousness.  And may He help us run like crazy from sin.

*  I love this church.  New Calvary Baptist is the place for me.

*  These cooler temperatures here in the Palmetto State are awesome.  Enjoying this January weather.

*  Personally, I'm ready for this presidential campaign season to be over.  Wishing we could go ahead, vote, and be done with it.

*  These Carolina Panthers have a good shot at reaching the Super Bowl.  Happy for them and hope they win it all.

That's all for today.  God is good.  I'm blessed and thankful.

Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment