Monday, January 25, 2016

Oh, Now I See It!

I pulled into my driveway this afternoon.  Glancing to my right, I saw some bushes.  Everything looked the same there, just like it does every day.
Then, a moment later, I looked to my right a second time.  Surprisingly, I noticed something I didn't see the first time.  A cat was sitting right in there, and it was staring right at me.
It kind of shocked me.  Something that initially escaped my notice was now crystal clear to see.  This time around, I was able to lock my eyes onto the cat with ease.  It was a neat experience.

Isn't it cool when the same thing happens with Bible reading?  We can check out a familiar passage of scripture that we've dealt with before, and then suddenly we may notice something in it that we've never latched onto earlier in our lives.  It happened to me just this morning.  I was reading a verse in James 1, and I saw something in it that I've never noticed before today.   It was one of those neat "Aha!" kind of moments.  Most likely, you've been there before too!  

What's the deal with this?

God "illuminates" scripture for you and me.  He enables us to see things in it that maybe we've never noticed before.  And that's a good thing!  Psalm 119:18 is where we see one prayerfully asking God to "Open my eyes that I may see wonderful things in your law."  I like that!  He wants a little help from above when it comes to peering deeply into the Bible.

When you read scripture, ask God to help you "see wonderful things".  Tell Him you want to see more than what's on the surface.  Request Him to help you notice promises to claim, directions to follow, and wisdom to embrace.  Come to think of it, let's all ask God for a little help.  Once this takes place, I bet we will notice something for more significant than a cat in the bushes.  We will see a golden nugget of truth to live by, and that's a good thing!

No comments:

Post a Comment