Monday, January 19, 2015

Everyone Is A Little Quirky

Over the weekend, I bumped into one of my former bosses.  He was always a good guy, and I enjoyed working for him years ago.  As we stood there laughing and catching up on life,  I asked him if the same guys are still there that I used to work with.  He told me that some of them are, and then he added this:  "You know, some of them can get on my nerves at times, but that's ok.  I love 'em anyway.  After all, every one of us is a little quirky, you know?"

Wow.  That was awesome.  And so true!  He hit the nail right smack on the head.

Some folks spend their whole lives never getting close to anyone because they can't cope with the little weird things they see in others.  When oddities come to the surface in people they know, they decide to bolt and not interact with them anymore.  It's kind of like how those characters on "Seinfeld" years ago never could stay in any kind of relationship.  (Click HERE to see a funny, short video of some things they just could not overlook.)

I've learned this along the way:  We all are a little different.  None of us are exactly alike.  Even when it comes to family and friends, I see everyone has their own manner of communicating, relating, eating, dressing, working, and living.  And you know what?  That's perfectly ok!

I'm a little embarrassed to admit this, but here goes:  Years ago, I used to think "Why can't people just be normal like me?"  Be honest.  Have you ever wondered that?  Well, one day it occurred to me, "Wait a second.  How can I be so sure I'm normal?  Maybe I'm just as quirky as others."  And, of course, I realized I AM quirky. 

My former boss reminded me of this truth:  There is not a single person on planet Earth who will always act exactly like we want them to.  Nobody is perfect.  And nobody is "normal" either.  So let's just accept that, exercise some patience, learn to be ok with differences, and love folks anyway.  That frees us up to enjoy relationships and get along with people that God ushers into our lives.  And that makes our own lives a whole lot better!

No comments:

Post a Comment