Friday, January 30, 2015

Escape

I once went through a phase in my life when I wanted to escape. 

Here's what I mean.

I would sit at my desk and hear the train go by on the tracks that were real close to my office.  I would think to myself, "Man, I wish I was on that train and headed out of town.  I could just get away from all the hard things I'm dealing with.  I just want to get out of here."  I didn't really care too much where the train was going.  As long as it was far away, anywhere was fine with me.

See, I was dealing with difficult things, and I thought the best solution was to run away from my problems.  I figured that maybe if I got far enough away, I could just start over with life.  That was how I wanted to cope. 

Have you ever felt like that?

The writer of Psalm 55:6-8 did.  Check out what he wrote:  "Oh that I had wings like a dove!  For then I would fly away, and be at rest.  Lo, then I would wander off, and remain in the wilderness.  I would hasten my escape from the windy storm and tempest."

It's a tendency that some folks have.  There are people who cope with difficulty by wanting to drive, fly, or run away from it.  Maybe you know the feeling.

I've changed in this area.  God has taught me that running from problems is not how to respond to them.  Now, I react to challenges differently from how I used to.

See, one thing to remember is that we can't really ever run away from our issues.  Sure, we can change locations.  But the negative stuff in our hearts and minds will just move with us.  As someone wisely said, "Wherever you go, there you are."

Furthermore, I've learned it's far better to man up, look the tough issue right square in the eye, and deal with it.  It's more courageous and productive to have the tough conversations, make the necessary adjustments, and take the bold steps to fix the problem!  That's a far more admirable response than being a coward and fleeing the scene.

Now, when I hear a train, I don't wish I was on it!  Not at all.  Now, I think, "You know, it would take a big train to drag me away by force before I ever left my corner of the world!"  I'm a husband, father, pastor, son, brother, and friend.  I treasure the good life God has given me.  He's been better to me than I deserve.  And now, I appreciate my life way more than I have before.  So whenever little challenges pop up here and there, I just work through them rather than run from them. 

Escape is not the answer.  Not for you.  And not for me.  When adversity comes knocking on the door of life, let's just whisper a prayer and allow God to walk through the tough time with us.  He will stay by our side, equip us for the challenge, and see us through.  And, in the long run, we will become wiser, stronger, and better because we hung in there!

2 comments:

  1. Good one David!!!! Pete says trains are for people who are too afraid to fly!! Glad you stayed off the train!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Tina! And I agree. Glad I stayed off the train. Please give my best to Pete.

    ReplyDelete