Friday, December 20, 2013

When Santa Brought Me Mr. Quarterback

10 years old.  That's how old I was when Santa left a Mr. Quarterback for me in the living room at Christmas.  And man oh man, I was thrilled!  Without a doubt it was my favorite Christmas present from my childhood.

Mr. Quarterback was this cool device that could hold and pass a football.  All I had to do was place my football in the arm, point it the direction I wanted, set the timer, and take off running.  After 6 or 7 seconds, it would make a beautiful throw, and I would try to make an amazing catch.  I used to spend hours playing ball with Mr. Quarterback in our front hard.

After a couple of years, however, Mr. Quarterback started malfunctioning here and there.  The timer was a little off, and the arm got weak.  Maybe it was the wear and tear from all those passes.  Maybe it was the occasional rough weather.  Eventually, I had to retire Mr. Quarterback.  He went up to that great toy store in the sky.

Things on this Earth don't last forever.  Our favorite possessions can be here today and gone tomorrow.  Sooner or later, their time expires and they are here no more.

I've come to realize that stuff is temporary, but God is eternal.  He has no beginning and no end.  God has just always been around, and He always will be.

So we would be wise to make Him
the foundation of our lives,
the center of our attention,
the top of our priorities,
the source of our strength,
the provider of our peace,
the Savior of our souls,
and The Lord of our everything.

Yep, God is eternal.  He will always be here.  That makes Him pretty spectacular.  And that's just one more reason why our whole life ought to revolve around Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment