Sunday, December 29, 2013

1000 More



My son and I play backyard football together.  A lot!  Usually I'm the quarterback and he's the receiver.  He loves running around and catching passes.

A couple of days ago, he decided to change the rules of the game.  This is a regular occurrence with Emerson.  Ha!  Ha!  As our game was drawing to a close, he suddenly announced, "Dad, the referees have decided that four quarters of football is not enough for us today.  So we have to play 1,000 more minutes!"  I had to smile.  See, the boy loves our time together.  I get the impression he is a normal kid who wants time with his father.

1,000 more minutes...

That instantly reminded me of a hymn I grew up singing in church.  Part of it goes like this....

"When we've been there ten thousand years, bright shining as the sun,
we've no less days to sing God's praise than when we first begun."
(From the hymn "Amazing Grace")

Just think about that.  One day in Heaven we will say to ourselves, "Wow, I've been here for 10,000 years, and the cool thing is eternity is only just beginning!"  Everlasting life in Heaven will be so wonderful that we will never want it to end.  The reason for this is simple:  we will enjoy the awesome presence of God, our Father.

As his father, I'm glad Emerson wants more time with me.  It makes me feel good.  And I can tell it's a big deal to him.  

Maybe I was being blessed with a preview of what Heaven will be like for me.  I'll be so happy to commune with my Heavenly Father, I'll never want it to end.  And the neat thing is, it won't end ... not after 1,000 minutes or 10,000 years.  It will last forever, and I think it will be amazing!

No comments:

Post a Comment