Wednesday, December 18, 2013

The Crying Girl

I just don't know what to do when a girl or woman cries.  The truth is, most guys don't.  We fumble through our words and lose all clarity of thought when feminine tears fall.

I was 20 years old, and, in retrospect, clueless.  A teenage girl started crying in the middle of a Bible study I was leading during a youth retreat in Awanita Valley, North Carolina.  While we were having a group discussion, she blurted out "I don't have any friends in this group, and nobody here cares about me."  Good grief, what was I supposed to do?  That was awkward!  All I could say is, "Ok, everyone, let's just take a fifteen minute break."  Before I knew it, a few girls took the crying girl into another room to comfort her.

After fifteen minutes, everyone came back in the room.  The crying girl was now fine, and several other girls were sitting by her side.  Things looked better to me.  "Is everybody ok now?", I asked.  Chris, one of our teen guys, quickly said, "Yeah man.  It'll be alright in the morning."  All the other kids nodded in agreement.  I had no idea what he was talking about, but I just shrugged my shoulders and went on with the Bible study.  When we finished, I pulled Chris aside and asked, "What did you mean by 'It'll be alright in the morning'?"  He quickly smiled and said, "Just check out Psalm 30:5 and you'll see what I mean."  So I went to my room, opened up my Bible to the passage, and read these words:  "Weeping endures for a night, but joy comes in the morning."  Then it all made sense.

That verse still means the world to me.  It reminds me that tough times don't last forever.  Hardships are temporary.  And in the end, God's people triumph and rejoice.

If you're hurting in any way, keep the following in mind:  It'll be alright in the morning.  This tough season of life will end.  You will get through.  And God will see to it that you smile and celebrate once more!

Child of God, all will be well.

No comments:

Post a Comment