Sunday, December 15, 2013

When Justin Bieber Came To Carolina


My youngest daughter, Rachel, is like a lot of girls her age.  One specific way this is especially true is her attachment to Justin Bieber.  She has his cd's and posters in her room.  It's safe to say he is kind of a big deal to her!

Now I'm a 43 year old guy.  I think a couple of his songs are pretty cool, and he is musically talented, but I really wish he'd pull his pants up and show a little more class at times.  My guess is he doesn't care too much about what guys like me think because he's got about a gazillion girls around the planet who think he hung the moon.

Anyway, Justin performed a concert in our home state of South Carolina earlier this year, and I made Rachel's dream come true by taking her to see him sing.  We arrived four hours before the show so she could see his bus pull into the parking lot.  Then I bought her some things she wanted at the souvenir table (hat, T-shirt, etc.).  Finally his show started.  My shy, quiet daughter went absolutely insane.  She cheered, cried, sang, laughed, and danced the whole night.  I had never seen her go nuts like that before.  But she loved it, and it made her happy.  That's all that mattered to me.

See, I've realized that love is selfless instead of selfish.  It thinks about other people.  And that's what motivated me to go to the concert.  It hurt my wallet and damaged my hearing for a couple days, but it was worth it.  I made my kid really happy and made memories that will last a lifetime.  Mission accomplished!

When we love other people, we will focus more on them and less on ourselves.  Actually, we will start to become a little more like Jesus when love fills our heart.  He loved us so much that He gave up His life to rescue us.  He focused more on us than on Himself.  That's pretty special if you ask me.

May Jesus help us love people the same way He loves people.  May we serve and bless them more.  And may we obsess over ourselves less.  

So I'm glad we went.  It was a special night.  I enjoyed making my child happy in good ole South Carolina.

P.S.  I still wish Justin would buy a belt and pull up his pants....  


No comments:

Post a Comment