Saturday, December 14, 2013

Don't Be A Fan Of Jesus



I've realized Jesus is not interested in us being a fan.  Not at all.  He is much more interested in us being a follower.

What helped me understand this?  Kyle Idleman's book "Not A Fan".  I finished reading it this morning, and I can honestly tell you it blessed my soul.

The author states early in this awesome volume, "The biggest threat to the church today is fans who call themselves Christians but aren't actually interested in following Jesus.  They want to be close enough to Jesus to get all the benefits, but not so close that it requires anything from them."  (Page 25).  This reminds me of the times Dad has talked to me about people who want all the benefits without taking any responsibility.

A fan of Jesus is someone who admires Him and thinks He is really special.  A follower of Jesus is someone who worships Him as Lord, and is willing to live and die for Him.  See the difference?  Fans are casual, while followers are committed.  

I absolutely loved how Idleman wrote this book.  He has the heart of a pastor and the mind of a scholar.  He takes deep truths and presents them in understandable language.  He speaks in layman's terms and shares practical, fascinating stories to make his point.  This book made me laugh at times, and made me reflect deeply and seriously at times. 

I can honestly tell you this is the best book I've read in quite a while.  God spoke to me while reading it, and my relationship with Jesus is different because of it.  This was time well spent.

Do yourself a favor:  buy and read "Not A Fan" by Kyle Idleman.  You'll be glad you did.  I guarantee it.

P.S.  To learn more about this book and how to order it, click HERE.

2 comments: