Monday, November 23, 2015

Courage On Broad Street

I came to a stop at one of the lights on Broad Street the other day.  In front of me was a truck with a sticker on his back window.  For a moment, I strained my eyes to read its message.  Then I was able to make it out.  The sticker read, "Nothing to Fear".
Now I don't know which organization put out this particular decal.  But I do know the message is totally true.  We Christians really do have nothing to fear.  Absolutely nothing.
 
What is it that scares you?  Be honest with yourself.  Is it disease, debt, divorce, or death?  Or maybe it's something else.  Whatever it is, know that you do not have to live in fear any longer.
 
Let's consider this call to courage for a moment...
 
It is Isaiah 41:10 which states, "Fear thou not; for I am with thee: be not dismayed; for I am thy God: I will strengthen thee; yea, I will help thee; yea, I will uphold thee with the right hand of my righteousness."  This Old Testament passage also applies to us today.  And what a great promise it is!
 
This verses reminds us to find courage in the following:
 
[1]  God's presence.  He says "I am with thee".  This means we are never alone.  Regardless of whether we are dancing on the mountain-top or grieving in the valley, God is over us, under us, beside us, and inside us.  This all-encompassing presence is a tremendous comforter.  God's going to be with us as long as we are on this Earth, and then one day He will take us home to Heaven where we will enjoy His company forevermore. 
 
[2]  God's assistance.  He says "I will strengthen thee""I will help thee", and "I will uphold thee".  That's a big deal!  Some times we feel weak and unable to continue along the journey of life.  But thanks be to God, He offers a power, lends a hand, and provides a boost.  We have way more than our own power to utilize.  Thankfully, we have God's assistance available twenty four hours a day and seven days a week.
 
When I saw that bumper sticker, I was encouraged.  It felt like God was reminding me not to be afraid.  So when the light turned green and the traffic moved forward, I sensed a new boldness within my heart.  I was once again ready to face whatever came my way.
 
Courage.  It's available at more places than that Broad Street intersection.  It's yours and mine wherever we go.
 
Be strong in the Lord.

No comments:

Post a Comment