Monday, March 3, 2014

Haters

"The problem with most of us is that we would rather be ruined by praise than saved by criticism."  Norman Vincent Peale

It's been going on for a while.

I read it and hear it on a regular basis.

People are referred to as a "hater" (or "h8ter") anytime they offer criticism of almost any kind.

This is the mindset of today's generation:  "How dare you disagree with me or challenge me?  You're just a hater who is out to get me.  I'm going to tune you out from now on!"

Here's the deal, folks:  It's foolish and dangerous to write off all people as "haters" just because they disagree with us or offer us constructive criticism.

Yes, there are some people who love to be negative and enjoy bad-mouthing everything and everyone.  That is true.  And we do have to take some of what they say with a grain of salt.

But there are also plenty of good-hearted, wise, caring people out there who will disagree with us and offer us constructive criticism from time to time.  And on some occasions, they are exactly right!  At moments in our lives we need people to challenge and correct us.  It's for our own good.  And NO, we should not write them off as "haters" just because they aren't applauding everything we do.

I'm glad some people have intervened and corrected me at times in my life.  Some criticism I've received in my life was 100% deserved.  Maybe I didn't enjoy receiving it at the moment; however, I've realized along the way that I'm blessed to have some good people who care enough about me to tell me when I'm wrong.  And the times that I've listened to them and made life adjustments have been to my benefit.

Ecclesiastes 7:5 gives us this bit of wisdom:  "Better to heed the rebuke of a wise person than to listen to the song of fools."  How true!  We come out on the winning side when we listen to wise people who disagree with us or offer us constructive criticism.

Don't get defensive and shut people out just because they challenge you or offer you an alternative point of view.  Don't write them off as "haters".  Why?  Because you may be wrong.  They may be right.  And maybe, just maybe, they are encouraging you to change your direction because they care about you and they want what's best for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment