Tuesday, March 25, 2014

That's What Dads Do

Recently I was talking with a young kid.  I asked him how his parents were doing.  He told me his mom was fine and then he said this about his dad:  "All my dad does is work and come home to lay on the couch and watch tv.  I guess that's what dads do."

Ouch!  Is that really all that we dads do?  I sure hope not. 

That got me thinking about myself as a dad, and other guys too...

I have made my share of mistakes as a dad.  If I could go back in time, I'd certainly do some things different in the lives of my children.  But all I can do is learn from my past and try to do my job well today and in the future.

The same goes for you dads.

Anyway, may our kids be able to say that we do more than work and lay on the couch with the remote control!

Yes, we get tired from getting up early and working all day.

Yes, there is a time for us to rest and unwind at home.

But our families need us to also be involved with life around the home too.

We can play ball with our kids in the yard.  We can take a turn doing the dishes.  We can go for a walk with our wife around the neighborhood.  We can talk with our kids about school, their friends, and other areas of their lives.

I know, guys.  It's not always easy being a dad.  Believe me, I get it.

But let's be actively involved in our homes, as much as possible.  Let's interact and do life with our families.  And let's be the kind of dads who make a visible difference in the lives of our wives and kids.

May God give us guys wisdom to know when it's time to rest on the couch with the remote control and when it's time to interact with our families who really do want and need us.

No comments:

Post a Comment