Saturday, March 29, 2014

The Giver Of Good Stuff

One of my daughters asked me the other day to take her to a coffee shop.  Here is a weird confession about me:  I do not drink coffee.  But I do love my kids, so I took my girl, bought her what she wanted, and sat to talk with her while she enjoyed her beverage of choice.  It was a great time of dad-daughter bonding.

A worker there at the coffee shop announced that they had an extra drink available, and anyone could have it for free if they wanted it.  It was some sort of specialty drink instead of a coffee.  "Sure, I'll take it," I replied.  I figured I would give it a try.  After all, it was free!

I took one sip.  That was all I needed to take.  It was absolutely awful.  The worst tasting drink I've ever tried.  My daughter laughed at me.  She knew I didn't like it because of my facial expression, I suppose.  I had to laugh too.

When we got in the car I looked at my lovely daughter and said, "You know, maybe not every gift you receive from the coffee shop is good, but you can bet your bottom dollar that every gift you receive from God is extra good!"  She smiled and nodded in agreement.  And off we drove towards home, happy that we enjoyed such a nice visit.

"Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father" says James 1:17.  God is the giver of good stuff!  A gift from Him is guaranteed to be a blessing.

I doubt I'll accept any more gifts from the coffee shop.  :)  But the years have taught me to accept, enjoy, and appreciate the gifts that come from God.  His salvation, companionship, guidance, peace, joy, strength, purpose, and other blessings are the best things I can enjoy in life.

Thank you, Heavenly Father, for being so good to us.  Your gifts are simply the best!

No comments:

Post a Comment