Saturday, October 31, 2015

Quiet

If you ever watch golf on tv, you'll notice some guys who hold up "Quiet" signs.  They do this to let the crowd know when someone is about to swing their club and hit the ball.  And it works!  Everyone gets mighty quiet when the sign is held up.
 
Well, I got my hands on one of those signs yesterday.  Then I immediately had an idea and chuckled to myself.  So this is what I did...
 
I pulled into our driveway, got out of my truck, and walked into our home.  Lara was sitting there talking to the kids.  When she saw me and started talking my way, I simply held up the "Quiet" sign and said nothing back.  At first she looked confused and surprised.  Then she started laughing.  A big smile came across her face and we both got a kick out of it.
 
Whew!  I'm glad she got the joke.  It worked once.  But  I don't think I'll pull that sign out again at home.  It may not be a marriage helper to use that joke too much.  Ha!
 
The truth is, if I got home every day to a quiet home, it would get lonely.  I would miss hearing the chatter of my family.  And I would long to hear their voices.
 
I feel the same way about God.  One thing I don't want is for Him to be quiet.  If anything, I long to hear more of Him.  The voice of the Almighty is a beautiful sound.
 
Personally, I've never heard God speak in an audible voice.  Some folks say they've heard that.  That's never happened to me.  But I do hear God speak in other ways, and I'll bet you do to! 
 
God speaks to us through His Word, the Bible, which is a letter from Him to the world.
 
God speaks to us through His indwelling Holy Spirit by nudging us in certain directions.
 
God speaks to us through people we meet, when He leads them to say things we need to hear.
 
It's true.  God talks to us.  And what He has to say is always significant.
 
No, I don't want my family to be quiet.  It's good to hear them.  Even more so, I don't want God to be quiet.  It makes all the difference in the world when He communicates.
 
Almighty God - I value what You have to say.  Your words are always true, important, and life-changing.  I beg this of you: Please, do not get quiet.  Your voice is what I long to hear.  In Christ's name I pray, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment