Tuesday, October 13, 2015

The Temptation Of The Coins

I was tempted today.

The vehicle I was driving needed to be vacuumed.  I pulled into this place and stopped beside a big vacuum cleaner.  For $1, I could use it for several moments to do the cleaning that was needed.

When I walked up to the machine, I noticed a pile of coins.  Someone had left them there.  And these coins could have paid for me to vacuum my vehicle.
My mind began to wonder.  "You know, I could use these coins for the vacuum.  Then I wouldn't have to use my own money.  And besides, nobody else is out here to claim these coins."

Then some thoughts came to mind.
1.). Those coins do not belong to me.
2.). God and I will know I took them, even if nobody else finds out.

Finally, I considered this:  My true character is who I am and what I do when nobody else is looking.

Thanks be to God, I was able to leave those coins alone and use my own money.  It felt good to do the right thing.  I knew that's what I was supposed to do.

I'm glad I had that experience.  It reminded me to live right privately as well as publicly.  And it forced me to focus on what matters most in life.

We all face temptations in life.  Every single one of us.  May God help us all to obey Him when nobody else is looking.  And may He forgive us for when we fail Him along the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment