Tuesday, October 6, 2015

Our 2015 Carolina Flood Experience

(Sumter, SC.  10/4/15.  Em & me in our flooded neighborhood)

The rains came down and the floods went up.  It's been quite a crazy few days here in South Carolina.  And I think most of us will never forget it.
 
Parts of our neighborhood were flooded.  It was kind of scary to look at.  Fortunately, for my family and me, our home was not affected.  Our end of the street is a little higher than other spots of our community.  So Lara, the kids, and I are fine.  And our home is ok.  We have electricity, water, and plenty of groceries. 
 
Others in our area, are not so fine.  Bridges and roads have been destroyed.  Many businesses have shut down.  And schools will be closed for days.
 
My heart hurts for our town.  Plenty of folks are hurting.  This will impact their lives for quite some time.
 
Here are two things running through my mind...
 
1)  Be mindful of others.  We may be doing ok, but others are going through tough times.  Life is about more than me, myself, and I.  It's also about my neighbor.  After we thank God for the blessings we enjoy, let's help others with the burdens they have.  The lives of other people must matter to you and me.
 
2)  Focus on what matters.  I can't think of anything more important than God, family, friends, and ministering to others.  There are plenty of other things we can enjoy and be a part of in this life.  But when it comes down to it, only a few things really matter.  Let's avoid majoring on the minors during our years on this Earth. 
 
Thanks for praying for our town and state.  I know a lot of you care deeply.  That means a lot.
 
Things will get better.
 
We will overcome this. 
 
We are South Carolina Strong, and with God's help, we will bounce back!

No comments:

Post a Comment