Saturday, May 2, 2015

My Flight From Dallas

Let me tell you about my flight from Dallas.
 
I had been on a mission trip to Alaska.  It was an incredible time of ministry and fellowship.  Our trip home took us through and Seattle and Dallas.  When we were on our flight just outside of Charlotte, I looked at Keith, who had led and organized our trip, and said, "Hey man.  You did a great job with this trip.  It was a total success!"  I'll never forget what happened next.  He looked at me and said, "Don't thank me yet, David.  Our plane hasn't landed."
 
Wow. 
 
After a few seconds of awkward silence I said, "Yeah, I guess you're right."  Then I whispered a prayer for God to help us land safely.  Gratitude filled my heart when we touched down in Charlotte.
 
Keith's words still make me think of these words from Psalm 27:1 - "Do not boast about tomorrow, for you do not know what a day may bring forth."  This verse teaches us to be humble and keep in mind we have no clue what the future may bring.  Nothing is guaranteed.  We do not know what will happen in the next hour, day, week, month, or year.
 
I didn't know for sure if we would land safely in Charlotte.
You don't know for sure what will happen in the next day or two.
Only God knows these things.
 
What does this mean for us?
 
Well, consider this...
 
#1  We should make the most of today, because we may not have a tomorrow.  Each of us has projects to complete and people to love.  So let's maximize our moments and seize the day instead of waiting for a tomorrow that none of us are guaranteed.
 
#2  We should stay humble and remember that only God knows what the future holds.  His amazing foreknowledge allows Him to clearly see what is waiting for us around the corner.  That is just one of many reasons why God is worthy of our praise and worship.
 
When it comes to time, may we never get cocky; instead, let's make each day count, and let's remember only God knows what the future holds.

No comments:

Post a Comment