Friday, July 11, 2014

Waiting Patiently On God


"But while most of us are in a hurry, it seems God is usually not in a hurry."
-   Eric Speir, 'Relevant' magazine, September 30, 2013. 

My name is David, and here is a struggle I have:  I am not nearly as patient as I should be at times.  Waiting is something I need to get better at in my life.  And I'm not just talking about dealing with people.  At times, I need to be more patient with God.

Maybe you've been there too...

I've gone through seasons where I've prayed for God to intervene or help me in one way or another, and it seemed to me like God was doing nothing.  Things were just not happening.  And I grew frustrated as I wondered more and more, "When, if ever, is God going to do something on my behalf?"

But lately God's been dealing with me on this.  A lot!  And I'm sure He will continue to do so.  His teaching, molding, and shaping is a life-long process, after all.

A few moments ago, I read the following Bible verses...

"Be still before the Lord, and wait patiently for Him"  Psalm 37:7

"I waited patiently before the Lord; He turned to me and heard my cry."  Psalm 40:1

The scriptures tell us to "wait patiently" for God.  It reminds us that God does not operate on our schedule.  After we talk to Him about the situation we are going through, our job is to stay calm and just wait for Him.

God has been reminding me of these things:
  
[1]  He sees things I don't see.   
[2]  He knows things I don't know.  
[3]  His concept of time is different from mine. 

These three truths combine to make one mega-important truth:  I have to trust God's awareness, wisdom, and timing while waiting patiently for Him to act in the way He knows is best.  And friend, you need to do the same thing.  We all do!

You and I must lift our prayers of petition to God and express our needs, Then we must wait.  And maybe wait some more.  We have to trust Him and keep calm instead of freaking out, flipping our lid, and erroneously accusing Him of being too slow or disinterested in our moment of crisis.  What will help us during this waiting time is reminding ourselves that He has awesome, perfect reasons for His timing being what it is.  We have to keep in mind that God knows what He is doing, and He will respond to our situation at the right moment, in the right way.

May God help you and me to be more patient with Him and to trust His timing.  He has a perfect schedule for His flawless plan.  Let's just keep calm and wait for Him to make His move.

No comments:

Post a Comment