Sunday, July 13, 2014

Something New From My Father


My dad can fix about anything.  Over the years, he has impressed me with how he comes up with ways to make things look and function better.  I admire him for it.

He has this table in the back yard.  A few years ago, the legs under it were rotting away.  It was no longer stable.  Around that same time, Dad was walking into a hardware store in the lower part of South Carolina when he noticed four table legs that were laying on the ground.  The store owner agreed to let Dad have them.  Then he brought them home, attached them to the table, and all was well.  

My father added new legs, and things got better.

On a far greater note, our Heavenly Father can add a new heart into our lives, and things really get better!

"I will give you a new heart and put a new spirit in you; I will remove from you your heart of stone and give you a heart of flesh."  Those are the words of Ezekiel 36:26.  And those words give us a little glimpse into the awesome work of God.

The idea of God giving us a new heart means this:  Our Heavenly Father can give us a new way of thinking and feeling on the inside.  Also, He can add strength, life, and durability to our mindset and emotional state.  Finally, He can swap out that which is rotting and decaying for that which is alive and beautiful.  In short, God can give us a new life from the inside out.  

I'm glad my earthly father gave the back yard table new legs.  But I'm far more glad that my Heavenly Father has given me a new heart!  That will last far longer and have greater rewards.

Don't give up on people.  God can give them a new heart.  Pray for that to happen.

Don't give up on yourself either.  God can give you a new heart.  Pray for that to happen.

Our Heavenly Father can fix broken lives and make them masterpieces of beauty and wonder.

No comments:

Post a Comment