Thursday, July 31, 2014

The Goal Post And The Goose Egg


A few days ago, I was throwing passes to my son on a local football field.  We were having a fantastic time!  My throws were long and on the money.  His catches were really impressive.  My 9 year old was running routes and making catches left and right.

Then, it happened.

Emerson made an amazing catch in the end zone.  But he was running fast and his momentum carried him to a world of hurt.  He ran head first into the goal post.  I was standing about 20 yards away and could hear it.  He fell down, grabbed his head, and cried out in agony.  I sprinted as fast as I could and took him into my arms.  Within 30 seconds, a big goose egg appeared as his forehead began swelling up.  I sat there with my boy and watched him hurt.  Fortunately, I could see that he was not passing out or throwing up, so I quit thinking as much about a possible concussion.  But my heart still ached as I watched my boy cry in pain.

With tears rolling down his face, he looked at me and asked, "Daddy, is it going to hurt like this forever?"  I held him close and assured him that the pain would soon go away and all would be well.  That bit of good news put him at ease.  And, soon enough, he was just fine.  A full recovery followed.

Maybe you're hurting right now emotionally, financially, physically, professionally, or spiritually.  Life's been painful for you lately.  You might be looking at God, your Heavenly Father, and asking, "Is it going to hurt like this forever?"

If so, then remember these truths...

God loves you more than you can imagine.

God will comfort your mind and heart through His Holy Spirit.

God will not let you hurt forever.

God will one day welcome you into Heaven, where He will wipe every tear away from your eyes and shield you forever from sickness or suffering of any kind.

I've been where you are.  There have been some tough days in my life too.  The good news I can tell you is this:  God has looked out for me and seen me through.  So you can rest assured He will do the same for you.

Friend, I am sorry you hurt.  I truly am.

Let me assure you, better times are ahead.

You will not hurt like this forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment