Friday, January 10, 2014

The Night I Was Locked In The Sumter Cemetery

"So if the Son sets you free, you will be free indeed."  John 8:36

One night, I was locked in a cemetery in Sumter, South Carolina.

I was 15 years old.  My dad and I were setting up a small tombstone for a family, and it was a simple job.  The sun was going down, the breeze was blowing, and we were wrapping up our work.  After putting our tools back in Dad's truck, it felt good to be through.  As we started driving towards the front gate to head on home, it was totally dark outside.  Then when we realized something.  The guy who managed the cemetery had left early.  He didn't know we were working back there.  And he had locked the gate.  Dad and I were stuck.  The Carolina moon was shining down on us.  I must confess it was a little eerie for a few moments.

Since we didn't have a cell phone, I figured we would be staying right there for a while.  But Dad had other plans.  He calmly got out his toolbox, walked up the gate, and disconnected it from it's hinges.  Then he pulled the gate to the side and told me to drive the truck through.  Finally, he put the gate back in place, then we went on home. Mom's supper was waiting for us, and I was glad to be liberated from that place.

Dad provided freedom.  And I was really grateful!  Wouldn't you be?

Jesus also provides freedom.  Actually, it's the greatest freedom of all.  And it makes an eternal difference.

When we trust and follow Jesus, He frees us from...

Guilt
Emptiness
Hopelessness
Fear
An eternity of darkness and suffering.

All those shackles and chains that have bound us for years fall by the side when we let Jesus become our Lord and Savior.  He forgives our sins, gives us a new life, and secures our eternity.  I can't think of a better kind of freedom than that!

Jesus has done a lot of good things for this ole boy.  The greatest blessing of all is my freedom.  And I can not thank Him enough.

Yes, Jesus makes us free if we let Him.  What a blessing!  And what an important message that the whole world needs to hear about.

No comments:

Post a Comment