Friday, January 17, 2014

Alone On The Stairs


I was alone on these stairs yesterday at the school where I teach.  Nobody was looking.  And I did something.

The morning bell had rung and I was running a quick errand on campus.  When I was alone in the stairwell, the school's intercom came on.  A lady from the front office asked us all to stand and say the pledge of allegiance.  

Now, I was all by myself.  Nobody was watching.  But I stopped.  I didn't have to think about it.  And I put my hand over my heart as I said the pledge.  Then, when I finished, I went up the stairs to my classroom.

So what's the big deal about that?  Plenty of people would have done the same thing.  Why even point this out?

Well, I got to thinking later in the morning:  It was automatic for me to be respectful of America when I was alone.  But it's even more important for me to be respectful of God when I am alone.

See, it's really kind of easy to be "Christian" when people are looking.  But I think what really speaks volumes about us is what we are like when nobody is looking.  Our true heart and character are revealed when we are alone on the stairs, or in the car, or at our home, or wherever.  

Sure, I want to be a true American even when nobody sees me.  That does matter.  But even more so, I want to be a true follower of Jesus when nobody sees me.  In the grand scheme of things, that's a far bigger deal.

May we all live for God in public and in private today.  Whether a big crowd sees us, or nobody has a clue where we are, let us be mindful and respectful of our awesome God.  And may we honor Him with a life of obedience.

No comments:

Post a Comment