Friday, January 31, 2014

Batman In My House


Batman lives in my house.

Seriously.  He does.

I walk past him every morning on my way out the door to work.  Then I notice he is still there when I return home in the afternoon.  

There he stands.  Mysterious.  Dark.  Ready for action.

And he is not real.  Just plastic.  A toy that belongs to one of our kids.

There are a lot of people in this world just like the Batman in our house.  

Not real.  

My guess is we've all done it.  I have done it myself.  Appearing one way on the outside, while actually being another way on the inside.

Not real.

It's like we members of the human race live to impress each other at times.  We get way too hung up on our public image.  We put on our masks and fake smiles to appear as if we have things all together.  The truth is, we even do this when our private lives are disastrous, twisted, bloody train wrecks.  

I've been learning about the importance of being real.  Transparent.  Genuine.  

Real with God.  Real with people.  Real about my thoughts, feelings, and life in general.

Our relationships with God and other people grow stronger when we get real.

Our hearts heal when we get real.

Our lives move forward when we get real.

I like the Batman in our house.  He's a great conversation starter when folks come to visit.  And I must admit he's always been my favorite super-hero in the movies.

But I don't want to be like this plastic toy.

I want to be real.  Transparent.  Genuine.  

Life goes much better when I'm that way.

Let's all be real.

No comments:

Post a Comment