Wednesday, February 3, 2016

Thoughts On The Shepherd - Part 2

In my wallet, I keep a card.  My son, Emerson, gave it to me for Father's Day in 2011.  And I'll probably keep it there forever.

On the front of the card is a picture of him.
On the back of the card is a little message that reads, "When I am not around and you get lonely for me, just open up your wallet and my picture you will see."
That means a lot to me.  Why?  Because I love my boy, and I realize I won't always have him with me.  One day, he will become a man, move out, and get on with his life; therefore, I'll hold on to that card so I can at least see his picture.

God is described as a "shepherd" in Psalm 23.  Specifically, in verse 4, He is praised for this reason:  "Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me."  Just as a good shepherd stays with the sheep, God stays with us.

I love that idea!

People come and go.  Nobody can stay with us 24/7.  It's part of life.  But God, on the other hand, is eternally by our side and in our heart.  He does not depart or check out.  He does not vacate the premises.  With us is where He remains.  Forever.

When we are dancing on the mountaintop, and everything is going our way, God is with us. 

When we are grieving in the valley, and life hurts, God is with us.

I have read in countless places that these were the final words of John Wesley before he took his final breath:  "The best of all is God is with us!"  Amen to that!  Wesley knew perfectly that in living and in dying, we are never alone.  He is with us indeed.

May we find comfort in the everlasting presence of God.  If the sun is shining or if the skies are dark, He looks after us as a shepherd looks after his sheep.  And we are blessed because of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment