Friday, February 12, 2016

Generosity At The Plant

In 2013, I worked at the wastewater treatment plant here in Sumter.  Many times my shift was from 11:00 pm - 7:00 am.  Usually I worked with Jody.  He was really smart and understood how to do the job with excellence.  He was also good to me.  I look back on my time with him and have good memories.

A lot of nights, Jody showed up to work with food that his kind wife, Leigh-Anne, had prepared for him.  She really fixed him up right with great food to eat.  The cool thing was that plenty of nights, he showed up with two meals ready. One was for me.  Out of the goodness of her heart, she fixed extra food so I could have some too.  Now I didn't ask them for those delicious meals.  They just wanted to be good to me.  I'll always remember that and be thankful for it.

Generosity.  One definition I've found for it is "the quality of being kind."  It has to do with blessing others when we are able to do so.

There are so many people in this world who have needs...
Some need a listening ear.
Others need a shoulder to cry on.
Lots need guidance.
Many need someone just to sit quietly by their side.
Plenty need food, water, and shelter.
All need a friend.
And everyone needs our prayers.
When we are generous, we help meet needs such as these.

There is something more important than getting.  Way more!  It's giving.  

Corrie Tin Boom was so right when she said, "The measure of a life, after all, is not its duration but it's donation."  What we give and how we bless are good indicators of what kinds of people we are.  The way we treat others speaks volumes about what is going on inside our hearts.

Thanks Leigh-Anne and Jody.  Y'all were very good to me.  I'll forever be thankful for your kindness.

And may we all remember that each of us can show generosity to someone.  Each of us can bless another soul with an act of kindness.  And none of us will ever regret it.  Ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment