Tuesday, May 20, 2014

The Power Of Counting Blessings

Monday, I was feeling down.  It was just one of those days.  My heart was heavy and my mind was distracted.

Then I met the old man.

I was leaving a local business the same time he was.  As we reached the bottom of the ramp that ended in the parking lot, he turned around and introduced himself to me.  I told him my name and shook his hand.

Then the old man smiled and started talking to me like he knew me.

"I'm so glad to live in America!  Aren't you?  Think about all the freedoms we have in this country."

Then, without missing a beat, he continued.

"Even though I've suffered heart attacks and endured surgeries, I am so thankful!  Aren't you?  I have a roof over my head, food on my table, and clothes to wear.  Then I get to stand out here in the great outdoors and see the beauty of this creation.  The trees and the sky are so beautiful.  God is good, and even though life hasn't always been easy for me, I consider myself blessed greatly by Him!"

I stood there for a moment and thought about what he said.  Then I spoke.

"Sir, I want to thank you.  I've been a little down lately.  This has been a tough season of life for me.  But what you said has reminded me of how fortunate I am.  And it helps me put my problems in perspective.  I really appreciate your positive words."

He smiled.  We shook hands again.  And after we spoke another couple of minutes, he left with a wave.

I got in my old Nissan Pathfinder there in the parking lot and thought about the power of counting blessings.  Focusing on what was going right in my life had lifted my spirit, settled my mind, and lightened my mood.  I felt a fresh wave of joy come over me.  Peace soothed and calmed me.  That conversation rescued my aching heart.

Paul was right when he wrote "give thanks in all circumstances".  That's 1 Thessalonians 5:18, and an important reminder.  Counting our blessings and giving thanks are both pleasing to God and helpful to us.  God is worshipped when we express our gratitude to Him.  And we are encouraged when we focus on how fortunate we really are.

Would you like a little boost in your heart today?  Do things have you down a little bit?  Then try this:  Count your blessings!  And when you do, I promise your heart will be touched and moved in a positive way.

P.S.  If you have a moment and want to hear an uplifting song about counting blessings, just click HERE.

No comments:

Post a Comment