Thursday, May 29, 2014

My Huey Lewis And The News Experience

Growing up in the 80s, I was a big fan of Huey Lewis And The News.  At that time, they were a big group on the music scene.  I wore out their albums "Sports" and "Fore" on my stereo at home, and I had about every song memorized.

In 1985, they went on tour.  I was only 14 years old, and I had no money, but I really wanted to go see them.  So I asked my dad if he would get tickets.  Being the cool guy that he was (and still is!), Dad drove over to the Frank McGuire Arena in Columbia, South Carolina and bought tickets.  On the night of the concert, Dad, Mom, Chuck (a buddy of mine), and I were there cheering when Huey walked out on to the stage and opened with "The Heart Of Rock N Roll."  It was an awesome concert that night.

Up to that point, I had only heard and read about the band.  But that night's experience with Huey Lewis And The News was real and in person.  And it was unforgettable.  (To see a video of how the concert went, just click HERE .)

That has me thinking...

There are a lot of people who hear and read about Jesus Christ.  But the greatest thrill one can have is to have a personal, real experience with Him.  See the difference?  Some people know facts and stories about Him, while other people know Him in a spiritually close and intimate level.

In Philippians 3:8, Paul states that for him, nothing is worth more than "knowing Christ Jesus my Lord."  A relationship with the Son of God is held up as the top priority in these words.  And nothing else matters nearly as much as that.

Let's do more than know about Jesus.  We can do better than that.  Let's get to know Him personally!  This can happen through personal encounters with Him in scripture, prayer, and worship.

I had a good time seeing and hearing Huey Lewis And The News in person.  That was a lot of fun.  But that doesn't begin to compare to the ultimate, unforgettable thrill of having a personal, life-changing encounter with Jesus Christ that evolves into a fulfilling, eternal relationship.

There's just nothing better than a close encounter with God's Son, Jesus Christ!

No comments:

Post a Comment