Friday, May 2, 2014

Keep Hacking Away

I was in the mountains of North Carolina with a church youth group.  We were setting up our tents and getting the camp site ready for a fun-filled weekend.  Everyone was excited about roughing it.

I grabbed an ax and walked up to a thick tree branch that was laying on the ground.  We needed some firewood.  So I reared back my ax and swung with all my might.  Then I swung again.  And again.  I realized it was hard wood and it was going to require more swings than I first thought.

As I continued hacking away, I was determined to cut the large branch in half.  Quitting was not an option.  Then some teenagers gathered and watched me swing.  The pressure was mounting!  Finally, I yelled out loud, "You're not going to beat me!" as I swung and finally cut it in half.  Victory was mine.

I'm sure those young people laughed to themselves.  But I didn't care.  I just wanted to succeed.

What are you struggling with right now?

Marriage issues?  Financial problems?  Unemployment?  Addiction?  Depression?

Whatever it is ... keep hacking away at it until you succeed!

Remember that the power God has put inside you is far greater than the struggle that lies before you.  You have been given what it takes to overcome this.  So keep your chin up, put your shoulders back, look your problem square in the eye, and determine in your mind that you will succeed.

Hang in there with that marriage.

Keep working on those finances.

Fill out more job applications.

Get counseling for your addiction or depression.

Just keep hacking away!

If felt good to finally break through that branch with my ax.  But it will feel far better when we break through other, more pressing, obstacles that we face in our lives.  And by staying connected to the power of God, we will do just that!

No comments:

Post a Comment