Thursday, October 17, 2013

The Secret

In Philippians 4:12, Paul writes, "I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation".  He then talks about going through times when he had a lot, and times when he had very little.  In other words, Paul had seasons of comfort and seasons of poverty.  And during both seasons he was ok.  He was satisfied.  What was the secret Paul found to being content, regardless of his circumstances?  Well, he gives the answer in verse 13:  "through him who gives me strength".  This "Him" is Jesus Christ, who is the Son of God and Savior of the world.

Paul learned that in a relationship with Jesus, he found everything he needed.  That was the secret to his being satisfied.  Man, what an awesome discovery!

This has me thinking.  I've had times when I've had some extra money in my pocket, and I've had times when my wallet and bank account have been empty.  I've spent some nights having a blast at Disney World, and I've spent some nights at home, on my couch, watching a dollar rental movie on tv while eating a bag of microwave popcorn.  Through it all, I've realized I can be happy either way.  See, God has been teaching me that all I really need ... is Jesus.  In Him, I find joy, peace, strength, hope, forgiveness, purpose, and everything else required to satisfy my heart.

Paul was so right.  The secret to being content is closeness with Jesus.  When it's all said and done, that's all that really matters.

No comments:

Post a Comment