Saturday, October 19, 2013

The Kitchen

Last night was a fun Friday night with my youngest daughter, Rachel.  Everybody else in the family was doing things, so it was just her and me.  We decided to get in the kitchen and have fun together.

I fried up some bacon and eggs.  She fixed tasty biscuits.  While all this was going on, I pulled out my IPad and turned on music.  To make it fun for her, I let her pick out the tunes.  We sang along to music that she likes and danced.  We also talked and laughed a lot.  It was a really special time.  Then when our meal was ready, I took her by the hand and prayed with her.  I thanked God for giving us a fun night together and asked God to bless our meal.

You know, it reminded me of the importance of one-on-one dad-kid time.  Each child needs to feel special and loved.  It's a big deal to them, and it's really good for us!

It also reminded me of the importance of getting into the world of our kids.  I listened to her music.  I listened to her stories.  In a cool kind of way, I got to know my Rachel a little better last night.  We need to listen to our kids and get to know them.  That's so vital!

Goodness knows, I'm not a perfect parent.  Far from it.  But I'm learning.  And I do love the four that God gave me.  

Being in the kitchen with Rachel reminded me of what a great privilege it is to be a Dad.  And with the help of God, I seek to get better at it.  After all, there are not many more important things than loving and raising the kids who have been sent our way.

No comments:

Post a Comment