Tuesday, April 26, 2016

The Dallas Key And Pittsburgh Tattoo

I had one of my keys remade with a Dallas Cowboys design.  Since I'm a lifelong fan, it was fun to finally get one.  And I'm always proud to show it off to my friends and family.

Recently I was at a local drugstore when I laid my keys on the cashier's counter for a moment.  The moment she saw my key, the young lady said, "Oh no, not Dallas!"  Then she pulled up one of her shirt sleeves to show me her Pittsburgh Steelers tattoo.  (For those of you who don't know, the Cowboys and the Steelers are big football rivals.)  When she said that, I looked at her and said, "It's ok, we can still be friends anyway."  The young lady smiled back and said, "Yeah, I guess you're right."

Here's what I believe:  Disagreement is normal and healthy.  People are not going to share the same view on every single topic.  This is true in areas such as politics, sports, cultural issues, and religion.  But I honestly believe we all can still get along anyway.  We can disagree on certain issues and still be friends who work together in the areas where we do see eye to eye.

I have some friends who are more conservative than me, and I have other friends who are more liberal.  I've got some friends who are Carolina Gamecocks and others who are Clemson Tigers.  Some good people I know are Democrats, others are Republicans, and one is a Libertarian.   You know what?  I'm ok with my friends and me not seeing eye to eye on everything.  We still get along well and we treat each other with respect.  If you ask me, I think that's how it ought to be.

May we all keep this in mind:  Love matters!  Whether we agree or disagree on certain issues, let's look out for one another and be friends anyway.  That'll make this world a much more pleasant place to be, and the call of Jesus to love each other will be fulfilled in a wonderful way.

No comments:

Post a Comment