Wednesday, July 8, 2015

Key Lime Pie And Self-Control

There I stood in the frozen section of Food Lion with a delicious looking Edwards Key Lime Pie staring back at me.  Memories flooded my mind of how much I enjoyed that for dessert in the past.  And I was strongly considering taking one home with me for a night time snack!

But I hesitated.  See, I'm getting healthy and losing weight.  My workouts are paying off.  And I'm feeling great.  As I stood there, I thought, "As good as that pie looks, and as much as I want it, I better pass."  Fortunately, I was able to tell myself "Not tonight" and walk away.  Was that easy?  No.  But it was the right thing for me to do at that moment.  And I'm glad I controlled my appetite.

I'm glad I had some success there at the Food Lion!  Along my life's journey, I've managed myself well at times, and not so well at other times.  Perhaps some of you can relate to that.

Self-control.  It's the ability to manage our desires and cravings rather than let them manage us.  And it's making ourselves do the right thing when we're feeling inclined to do the wrong thing.  

Proverbs 25:28 tells us "Like a city whose walls are broken through is a person who lacks self-control".   Just as a city was protected from invasion by its walls back in the day, people are protected from self-inflicted harm by self-control.  And just as a city was destined for disaster when its walls were down, people are destined for disaster when their self-control is down.

Galatians 5:22-23 tells us one evidence God's spirit is working in us is the presence of self-control in our lives.  When we allow Him to fill us and influence us, He causes some awesome qualities (known as "fruit") to become a reality in our lives.  The ability to manage ourselves is one awesome proof that His Spirit is at work in our minds and hearts.

May we all grow in the area of self-control!  When it comes to time, food, sex, money, work, power, and anything else, let us seek God's help in keeping a tight grip on our desires.  We have to control ourselves if we want to live healthy, productive, God-honoring lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment