Saturday, March 7, 2015

The Bethel Reunion

Last night was a great one for me.  I had the honor of preaching at the "Go Conference", which was hosted by Bethel Baptist Church here in Sumter County.  My long-time friend, Larry Frasier, is their pastor, and he invited me to give the opening sermon of the conference.  I more than enjoyed being a part of it!

One reason I had such a great time was all the reunions that took place last night.  Since my dad grew up in that fine church, I got to see relatives from his side of the family that I have not seen in a while.  Also, I bumped into some friends that I haven't been around in years.  Even two of my high school football coaches were there.  It was a thrill to see Coach Hans Swygert and Coach A.L. Geddings. 

There are very few things in life more special than reuniting with people we have not seen in a while!

So here I sit on my couch at home this morning, reflecting on last night.  And looking forward to something neat in the future.  It also has to do with reunion.

When we get to Heaven, one of the many thrills we will have will be seeing loved ones and friends we have not had a chance to visit with in a long time.   We will get to see parents, grandparents, spouses, children, friends, classmates, coworkers, coaches, doctors, neighbors, bosses, principals, and fishing buddies, just to name a few.  In Heaven, there will be smiles, hugs, hand shakes, pats on the back, and laughter. 

The Bethel reunion has me thinking of Heaven's reunion.  We will be reconnecting with people who mean a lot to us.  That's going to be a wonderful experience.  And, to make matters better, it will be a reunion that never ends, because we will get to stay together for all of eternity.

I look forward to Heaven. 

No comments:

Post a Comment