Wednesday, March 4, 2015

More Than Being A Good Preacher

Tripp Brogdon is a good friend of mine.  We have some great talks about life.  Recently, he sent me a quote by Fred Craddock.  It sums up exactly what I've been thinking lately.
 
Here's the quote:
 
"When I was in my late teens, I wanted to be a preacher.  When I was in my late twenties, I wanted to be a good preacher.  Now that I am older, I want more than anything else to be a Christian.  To live simply, to love generously, to speak truthfully, to serve faithfully, and leave everything else to God."
 
That sums up how I feel.  I think a lot more these days about being a good Christian man than I think about being a good preacher.  I'm realizing that more than anything, I just need to love God and love people.  And if I do those things, everything else falls into place.
 
The truth is this ought to be what we all desire.  There's something way more important than being a good farmer, doctor, teacher, secretary, lawyer, housekeeper, architect, florist, funeral director, or salesman.  What matters more than these things is simply being a good Christian.
 
May that be the desire of our hearts!  Let's just become men and women who are more like Jesus.  I'm realizing our lives get much better when that becomes our focus.

No comments:

Post a Comment