Wednesday, February 18, 2015

Be Real

In June of 1993, I was ordained as a pastor.  Our home church, Grace Baptist, is where the service took place.  At one point during my ordination, people walked down front to where I was kneeling so they could offer me a word of wisdom or pray over me.  I'll always remember what one of my uncles said to me during that time.  I was on my knees with my head bowed.  He stood over me and said these words:  "Just be real, David.  Be real."
 
Over the years, I've come to have a greater appreciation for his advice.  I think I understand now what he meant.  And I now see how right he was.
 
You and I have a choice.  Either we can put on a show and try to impress each other.  Or we can be real.
 
Being real means being honest about who we are, what we think, and how we feel.  It's about taking off the mask and refusing to pretend.  Ultimately, it's about being genuine.
 
Here's a thought:  Let's be real.  When this happens, we do the following:
 
Say what we really think rather than what we think people want to hear.
Admit our need for help rather than act like we have it all together.
Get comfortable in our own skin rather than imitating someone else.
 
Life gets better when we get real.  Being truthful about who we really are is a liberating practice.  And it inspires others to be genuine as well. 
 
I like what Dan Marino once said:  "You can't live your life doing what other people want you to or you'll be miserable.  At some point you just have to be yourself."
 
He was right!
 
Don't waste your years trying to be something you're not.  Be who you truly are.  Just be real. 

No comments:

Post a Comment