Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Never Forget

Steven is a good guy who lives here in Sebring.  Yesterday, he invited me to meet him for lunch today.  It sounded great to me, so I agreed.  This morning I was getting ready to go meet him when I got a text.  It was from Steven.  He was wondering if we were still on for lunch.  Then it occurred to me:  I forgot we were meeting at 11:30.  And it was 11:40!  I was thinking lunch was at noon, but his text reminded me we had agreed on 11:30.  Quickly, I apologized and told him I would be there in just a few minutes.  I felt bad that I forgot the time we were scheduled to meet.  But when I arrived, he laughed it off and was a good sport about the whole thing.  We still ate a delicious lunch and enjoyed a great visit.

Sometimes we forget things.

This reminds me of what was written to a church in Revelation 2:4.  It was here that Jesus stated, "I have this against you, that you have left your first love".  What was supposed to be their first love?  Well, GOD was supposed to be what they treasured, adored, and loved more than anything or anyone.  They had forgotten what their top priority should be.  In the next verse, Jesus said, "Consider how far you have fallen!  Repent and do the things you did at first".  He was reminding those forgetful Christians to remember how God used to be number one in their lives, make a change in their hearts and minds, and get back to making time for that all important relationship with God.

I won't beat up on the Ephesian church.  At times, I too have forgotten my first love, which should have been The Lord.  It can happen if I'm not careful.

Let's always remember what time we are supposed to meet our buddies for lunch.

But even more so, let's always remember to love God first and foremost.  He is to be that which is most important in our lives.  We must be more devoted to Him more than we are to anyone or anything else.

If our priorities have been a little out of whack, God will forgive us if we confess it to Him and repent.  Also, He can gently help us get our priorities back in order.  Like a loving Father, He will help His children when we go to Him for help in getting our heart and mind back in the right condition.

Let's never forget!  God comes first.  He deserves to be number one in our lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment