Thursday, December 10, 2015

Zaxby's Sauce At Chick-fil-A And Prayer

I pulled up to a Chick-fil-A the other night and ordered some chicken strips.  Man, I love those things!  Then, without thinking, I asked the young lady for an extra Zaxby's sauce.  I guess my brain was on automatic pilot or just taking a nap.  Asking for a Zaxby's sauce at Chick-fil-A was not one of my brighter moments, and I immediately realized what I did when she started laughing and told me over the speaker that she didn't have that kind of sauce. 
 
I asked for the wrong thing.
 
At times, we do this in prayer.  We ask God for the wrong thing occasionally.  And He doesn't grant our request.  But His reason is simple:  He knows what is best for us.
 
We may ask God for more money, but perhaps He thinks too much money would ruin us.
 
We may ask God for a promotion at work, but perhaps He thinks the added pressure would make us miserable and bring us added stress.
 
We may ask God for a relationship with a certain someone, but perhaps He thinks that person would not be a good influence on us.
 
See my point?  At times we go to God in prayer and request things that we're just not going to receive.  But that's ok.
 
Now, let's go back to my story:  The young lady said, "I can give you Chick-fil-A sauce instead."  I responded with a laugh, "Ok, that sounds just fine with me."  And you know what?  I enjoyed that sauce.  It wasn't what I originally requested, but it ended up being great!
 
Maybe God doesn't give you more money, but instead He grants you a new wisdom to better use the money you already have.
 
Maybe God doesn't give you that promotion at work, but instead He grants you a renewed passion and gratitude for the position you already have.
 
Maybe God doesn't give you that relationship with a certain someone, but instead He brings a different person into your life that blesses you in new ways.
 
God may not grant all of your requests when you pray.  But that's just because He knows what is best for you.  And He might just have something way better in mind that will enrich you greatly.
 
So keep on praying.  Ask God to bless you in the best way that He sees fit.  And I can guarantee you it will never leave you disappointed.
 
And I'll try harder to remember next time what restaurant I'm at when I place my order.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment