Wednesday, December 2, 2015

The Spirit - Part TWO

Once I discovered it as a child, I loved doing it.  Pouring a glass of Coke and watching it bubble over the sides amused me for some reason.  I knew the glass was full when that happened.

While I desired Coke-filled glasses, God longs for Spirit-filled people.

Paul put it this way in Ephesians 5:18 - "Do not get drunk on wine, which leads to debauchery.  Instead, be filled with the spirit."  This verse means that our lives can be filled up with the things of this world and under their influence, or we can be filled up with the Holy Spirit of God and under His influence.  Being "filled with the spirit" is to allow God's presence to pour into every area of our lives and take over everything.

Let me illustrate it this way: I read about these guys discussing Dwight L. Moody, who was a well-respected minister years ago.  One of the guys wasn't all that thrilled with Moody coming to his area, and asked "Does he think he has a monopoly on the Holy Spirit?"  One of the other guys wisely responded, "No, but the Holy Spirit has a monopoly on Mr. Moody."  Bingo!  That's what being filled with the Spirit is like.  It's allowing God to take ownership and exercise control of our lives.  It is to be full of Him and yielded to Him.  That's what Moody sought, and so should we.

Let's allow the Holy Spirit to fill every corner of our lives.  When we do this, He is at the center of all that we are and all that we have.  The neat thing about this is that God won't show up empty-handed!  He will bring along His rich blessings such as compassion, peace, power, hope, purpose, wisdom, and grace.  Why wouldn't we want these wonderful gifts in every area of our lives?  I think that's what Andrew Murray had in mind when he wrote, "May not a single moment of my life be spent outside the light, love, and joy of God's presence, and not a moment without the entire surrender of myself as a vessel for Him to fill full of His Spirit and His love."

Yep, that glass filled with Coke was a beautiful sight to my eyes years ago.  It thrilled me!  But it's way more beautiful to see a person filled with God's Holy Spirit.  That's far better and more satisfying than a drink of soda.

Fill us today, God.  Make Yourself at home in every corner of our lives.  Nothing will make our days better than that.

No comments:

Post a Comment