Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Silence

I had to have noise.  It was a must.  A non-negotiable.

There was a time in my life, whenever I got in my car to drive somewhere, that I immediately turned on my stereo or got on my cell phone.  It was just something I thought I needed.  So I was either rocking out to my favorite tunes or talking with a good buddy.

Then one day it occurred to me ... I wanted noise because I did not know how to handle being alone in silence.  I used the distractions of music and chatter to distract my thoughts and numb my feelings.  I realized this was a problem that needed correcting.

Now I am different.

When I get in my car alone today, I normally do not turn on music, and I am perfectly fine not talking on my phone, unless it's an emergency.  I enjoy the silence.  In doing this, I sort through ideas in my mind, and I experience feelings in my heart.  In other words, I just deal with whatever is going on inside of me rather than drown it out with noise.

Check out these two Bible verses...

Isaiah 30:15 - "... in quietness and trust is your strength"

Habakkuk 2:20 - "let all the earth be silent before Him (God)"

There is a time for noise.  But there is also a time for silence.  Wise people have a healthy rhythm of the two.

We must learn to be comfortable with silence.  Why?  Because in silence, we are privileged to experience intimacy with God Almighty, and we are blessed to refuel with His peace, joy, purpose, love, wisdom, and power.  In silence, we are aware of His closeness and available to His touch.

The next time you are alone, give this a shot.  Try embracing the silence.  Leave the phone alone.  Turn the stereo off.  Get comfortable with your solitude.  And enjoy the peace and quiet.  It will restore your soul, bless your heart, and change your life.  I guarantee it.

Ralph Waldo Emerson was right:  "Let us be silent, that we may hear the voice of God."

No comments:

Post a Comment