Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Imitators Of God


One of my favorite places in the whole world is Swan Lake.  Located in my hometown of Sumter, South Carolina, it is a place of peace and beauty.  I've spent a lot of time in my life walking around it and taking in its wonder.

The last time my son and I were there, he struck a pose and imitated a statue of a little boy playing.  Fortunately for me, I had my camera, so I snapped a picture.  I'll always treasure that brief moment.

An imitator of art.  That's what my boy was.  And a pretty good one at that.

What if you and I became imitators of God?  What would that look like?  Is that even possible?

Well, the Bible answers those questions with clarity.

Ephesians 5:1-2 reads "Therefore, be imitators of God, as beloved children; and walk in love, just as Christ also loved you..."

There it is!

We are imitators of God when we love each other.  This love causes us to make sacrifices for those in need, extend forgiveness to those who do us wrong, and be kind to people we encounter.  This love is a wonderful and beautiful thing that blesses everyone.

God is love.  And He demonstrates it with breathtaking perfection.  It's quite a sight to behold.

As His children, let's imitate Him today!  Love people.  All people.

Let's make this our prayer:  "God, please fill me today with your love, and please help me to love people the way You do.  And when I struggle with this around difficult people, please love them through me.  I want to be an imitator of You and love people.  In Jesus Christ's name I pray, Amen."

No comments:

Post a Comment