Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Always Awake

Recently I had a rough night.  At 1:28 a.m., I woke up.  Because I was not feeling well, I could not go back to sleep.

Oh, I tried.  Believe me, I did.  I tossed and turned all night in the dark, but I just could not fall asleep.  So I was awake the rest of the night.  Then I got up and went to work that morning.  Needless to say, it was not one of my finer days.  And I can assure you I slept really well that night after I got back home.

I need my sleep.  It's a must-have.  And I bet you are the same way.

Here's an amazing truth about God:  He never sleeps.  24/7, God is wide awake.

That.  Is.  Amazing.

Psalm 121:3 tells us "He will not let your foot slip - He who watches over you will not slumber."  Always awake.  Always alert.  That is God.

We get tired and weak.  We require sleep.  But not so with God.  He keeps on going endlessly.

Years ago, Charles Spurgeon wrote these words about God being always awake:  "When dangers are awake around us, we are safe - for our Preserver is awake also, and will not permit us to be taken unaware.  No fatigue or exhaustion can cast our God into sleep; His watchful eyes are never closed."  (From his book The Treasury Of David)

You see, God's staying awake is not only impressive.  It is also comforting.  Knowing that He is always alert and aware of what is happening, even when we are sound asleep, should totally put our minds at ease.  We can rest easy knowing that God is awake and on watch.

Thanks be to our Lord for keeping an eye on us all day and all night.  That's just one more reason He is wonderful.  And that's another reason you and I can trust Him fully.

No comments:

Post a Comment