Saturday, December 16, 2017

Why I Believe In Hospice

(Here is my hand holding the hand of a hospice patient under our care)

Since the summer of 2016, I have worked as a hospice chaplain.  Before my work here, I've never had any dealings with hospice.  Since I was brought on staff, however, I've come to really believe in it and appreciate what it's about.

When someone is dealing with a life-limiting illness, and it appears they may be approaching their final season of life on this Earth, a hospice team can come into the home of the patient and their family to provide needed assistance.  The team works hard to help protect the comfort and dignity of the person who is ill.  Also, hospice focuses on the emotional and spiritual needs of the family members who are providing care for the patient.

A hospice team is made up of many different members. Nurses, CNA's, social workers, marketing directors, bereavement coordinators, chaplains, office support workers, and volunteer coordinators unite as one group to help hurting families.  Each role is important, and everyone makes a valuable contribution to the care of the patients.

Obviously, many patients who receive hospice care do eventually die.  There are some individuals, however, who do get better, no longer need hospice care, and are discharged.  As one doctor told me, "I don't have a crystal ball and I don't know for sure who is going to live and who is going to die.  I just do the best I can when I recommend someone for hospice care."  So the end result is not always the same for every hospice patient.

Something important to know about hospice is this:  The patient is no longer treated to be cured of their illness; instead, the goal is to keep the patient as comfortable as possible.  If pain can be managed or reduced, that's a good thing.  And that is something hospice workers definitely want to see happen.

I enjoy working with hospice.  That does not mean I enjoy watching people suffer.  Not at all!  What it means is I enjoy bonding with patients and their families, ministering to their spiritual and emotional needs, and pointing them to God, who offers the greatest comfort they can find. 

Yes, I believe in hospice.  Totally.  It's all about ministering to the physical, emotional, and spiritual needs of hurting people.  And as a Christian, I believe that is really important. 

No comments:

Post a Comment