Monday, December 18, 2017

My Magic Ears

For years, I've struggled with hearing.  It's been difficult, frustrating, and embarrassing.  At times it's been so bad that I've acted like I heard people when I actually didn't hear them.  Why?  Because I was too ashamed to ask them to repeat themselves again.

Finally, Marsha, a friend of mine, encouraged me to go get my hearing checked and do something about my problem.  After some gentle pushing from her, I gave in and went.  The experience went smoothly.  My hearing was tested.  The problem was identified.  And finally, I got hearing aids. 

Folks, let me tell you something:  It's like I'm living in a whole new world.  Finally, I'm able to hear.  Now I don't have to turn the tv up so loud.  When I go to the movies, I can understand what's being said.  The sound of birds chirping is beyond beautiful these days.  I can even hear Coke fizzing when I pour it into a glass, which I couldn't hear before.  Best of all, when family and friends are talking to me, I now can hear what they're saying with ease.

My family has nicknamed my hearing aids "magic ears".  Ha!  And that's a good name, if you ask me.  This transformation has been absolutely incredible and it has changed my life in some neat ways.  I'm beyond grateful for being able to hear!

With that in mind, here's something to consider:  God hears us perfectly.  He doesn't struggle to make out what we're saying.  Not at all!

Check these out...

I John 5:14 - "if we ask anything according to His will, He hears us"

John 9:31 - "if anyone is a worshiper of God and does His will, God listens to him"

I Peter 3:12 - "for the eyes of the Lord are on the righteous, and His ears are open to their prayer"

That's awesome news.  When we sing praises to God, He hears us.  When we express words of thanksgiving, God hears us.  When we cry out for help, God hears us.  When we're lonely and just need someone to listen, God hears us.  There's a lot of comfort in knowing that this awesome God of ours hears us.  And not only does he hear us, He responds perfectly in the right way, at the right time. 

Yep, I'm mighty happy about my magic ears.  It's a thrill to hear what's going on around me.  But I actually find greater comfort in knowing that God hears clearly with ease.  That means He's in tune and fully aware of my joys and sorrows on a daily basis.  And He's the same way for you.

Today, let's praise God for His amazing hearing! 

1 comment:

  1. Hi, did you go to Shepard College in the late 1970's? I am looking for my old freshman roommate Tonya Booboo Brooks. Someone with your name was her friend and swimming coach and lived in the same town. Are you the right Dave R.?-- Maryann Lesher Pohle

    ReplyDelete