Monday, June 5, 2017

Yes, I'm All For Sunday School

I'd like to share a few thoughts with you today about Sunday School.

When I was a kid, my parents always took my brothers and me to church.  And yes, that included Sunday School.  Every Sunday, we were there.

Then, when I got a little older, I somewhat changed.  I still went to church on Sunday's, but I didn't make Sunday School much of a priority.  The way I thought at the time was "I'm fine just going to the worship service.  I can hear a good sermon there, and that's really all I need."  So for a while, I took a break from it.

Now, I think and feel differently.  I'm all for Sunday School.  And I humbly encourage you to be the same way.

Here is what I've realized over the years...

Sunday School fosters spiritual growth.  When we gather during this hour, the class can interact with each other.  We can study the Bible together.  We can ask questions.  We can share insights.  There is a freedom to communicate and help one another deal with real life matters.  And that's where we really take off and grow spirutally.  We can't do this during the sermon time of a worship service.

Sunday School creates community.  When we gather during this hour, we have a chance to get acquainted with each other.  We can learn about others in our group.  We can share prayer requests.  And we can encourage one another.  Real friendships can be found in this setting, and that's a blessing.  It's hard to do this during a worship service.

Different churches do this in different ways.  Ours, for example, has Sunday School on Sunday mornings, an hour before the 11:00 worship service.  Other churches have small groups that meet during the week at various times in the homes of church members.  Regardless of what each calls it, and regardless of when the meetings take place, I think many of us would agree with this:  Gathering with a small group of fellow believers outside of the worship service can help us grow in the Lord and enable us to develop meaningful friendships.  It's hard to be against something like that!

Yes, I'm all for Sunday School!  And you should be too.  Good things happen when people get together in the name of the Lord.

No comments:

Post a Comment