Saturday, June 17, 2017

Scotty And The Gnat Question

I've got a good buddy named Scotty.  The other day I noticed something he wrote on Facebook.  And I liked it, because I've wondered the same thing he asked.

This is what Scotty wrote:  "Dear Lord, I try to never question Your creation here on Earth, but one night when it's just You and me talking, will You please explain the purpose of a gnat to me?  Thanks, Scotty."

That's a fair question, isn't it?  Who hasn't wondered that at least once in their life?  I know I have. 

So I decided to do a little research on gnats to find answers to the question Scotty and I both have. 

Here are some results from my research...

I learned a gnat is a tiny, flying insect (obviously) which is part of a group named Nematocera.

I learned some gnats bite, and some don't.

I learned that gnats are attracted to body heat, fruit, and sweet smells.

But what about Scotty's question?  Do gnats serve a purpose?  Well, it turns out they do.  Gnats do the following two things:  [1]  pollinate flowers.  [2]  serve as a food source for bats and birds.

That has me thinking now on an even deeper level that I was originally.  Even though gnats can be highly irritating, they can still lead to beauty in the world with flowers, and they can keep some of our impressive winged creatures fed and soaring in the heavens.  So aggravating things in life like gnats can still serve a purpose and be a blessing in the long run.

It's easy for us to be thankful and understanding when it comes to cirucmstances or people that are pleasant.  But when we begin to see the good in those things that are irritating, God is really helping us grow.  And this is when we begin to experience more of His life-changing joy. 

So, if it's ok with all of you, I'd like to close out this blog post with a little prayer.  You're welcome to join along and pray this too, if you'd like.  Here goes:

"God, You're amazing.  You have a purpose for everything You allow to exist or take place in this world.  Today I thank You for those circumstances, creatures, and people that are pleasant.  But I won't stop there.  I also thank You for those moments, experiences, individuals, and even creatures that irritating.  Even the gnats!  Because You are always up to something good, even when the circumstances are less than desirable.  No matter what's going on (or buzzing) around me, You are always worthy of worship.  I pray this in the name of Your Son and my Savior, Jesus Christ.  Amen."  

No comments:

Post a Comment