Thursday, June 16, 2016

High For All To See


I walked out of our church's sanctuary and into our parking lot the other day when I glanced up at our steeple.  For some reason, I noticed it more than I have before.  There was the cross of Christ lifted high for all to see.  As I stood there, I thought "That's exactly what this church should be lifting up."
 
We live in a dark, hurting, lost world.  People are struggling everywhere we look.  And they need hope.
 
Christian churches have the answer that the world needs.  Here it is in one wordJESUS.  He is the Son of God, the Friend to sinners, and the Hope for the hurting.  And His cross is a really big deal:  It's at the cross where we find forgiveness, love, and salvation.
 
The Apostle Paul wrote these words in 1 Corinthians 2:2 - "I resolved to know nothing while I was with you except Jesus Christ and Him crucified."  Paul wanted to know Jesus and make Him known to others.  What a perfect way to minister!
 
Churches, we can say and do a lot of things in our communities.  At any time, we can play softball, host covered dish suppers, start up book clubs, and take trips to amusement parks.  And there's nothing wrong with those things.  But the most important thing we can do is lift up high the name of Jesus for all to see.  Let's proclaim Him, worship Him, lock our hearts on Him, and fulfill the commission given to us by Him.  Nothing matters more than Jesus.  Nothing.
 
This world needs Jesus.  Desperately.  Let's make sure we help them find Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment