Saturday, May 7, 2016

What I Love About My Mom

I'm blessed with a great mom.  Diane is her name.  This is some of what I love about her...

Mom is an amazing cook.  I've always enjoyed the meals she prepares.  Delicious food comes out of her kitchen.  Her lemon meringue pie is my all-time favorite dessert, by the way!

Mom is a passionate educator.  For years she has been teaching and serving as a guidance counselor.  Many young people here in Sumter have been blessed by her work at Thomas Sumter Academy and Wilson Hall.  I think one of the reasons my brothers and I earned our doctorates is because of her stressing to us the importance of education.

Mom is a protective parent.  I've seen it many times.  If someone comes down too hard on my brothers or me, she gets pretty protective.  She can fuss at us, but she doesn't think you can.  Furthermore, if my brothers and I pick on each other, she sticks up for the one being targeted.  Mom looks out for her sons.  Always has, and always will.

Mom is a forgiving friend.  She understands that nobody is perfect and everybody fails.  While she does not excuse sin, she does show grace to the sinner.  I've been a recipient of her forgiveness when I've done wrong and made a royal mess of things.  While others gave up on me at times, she has lovingly worked with me and helped me make changes in my life along the way.

Mom is a committed Christian.  I've watched her for years love Jesus, read her Bible, pray, and worship.  And the church matters greatly to her.  As a son of Diane Richardson, I rejoice in knowing she is a child of God.  

Am I saying she's perfect?  Of course not.  Nobody is.  But what I am saying is this:  Mom has a good heart, means well, and gives her very best in life.  She loves her Lord and her family.  And that's really what matters.

I'm proud to say I'm one of Diane Richardson's three sons.  And I love her greatly.  Without a doubt, she is one of the best blessings I've enjoyed in my life.

Thanks for everything, Mom.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment