Saturday, October 11, 2014

The Next Talk


I was at a funeral visitation recently for an older gentleman who had passed away.  One of the visitors walked by me towards the end of the night and said, "Well, I guess the next talk good ole Maynard and I have won't be over the backyard fence.  It'll be up there in Heaven instead."  I noticed a twinkle in his eye and a smile on his face when he said that about his deceased friend.

That's the way we Christians deal with death.  While we do experience normal grief, we also hold on to the assurance that we will see our fellow followers of Christ again.  We keep in mind that death is not the end.  No, not at all!  Instead, it is the doorway through which we step into the eternal presence of God in Paradise.  And it's the road we travel to a meaningful reunion with loved ones and friends.

Maybe you miss those long, leisurely talks with folks over the fence, at a table, or on the front porch.  Well, I have good news.  In Christ, you will see them and talk with them again.  Heaven will be where the next talk takes place.  And what an awesome time that will be!

No comments:

Post a Comment